When The Bombs Fell

This is the story of the bombs that fell on Wallasey during the early years of the Second World War. The first bombs fell on the evening of August 10th, 1940, which caused damage to property, killed four people and seriously injured four. This was the first of many nights of ordeal to come.

Mount Pleasant Road Mount Pleasant Road Hoseside Road
On the night on the 21st December 1940 a direct bomb hot No. 40 - No. 44 Mount Pleasant Road and the adjoining No.2 Pleasant Street.
Hoseside Road blitz damage with Gerard Road top left.
Bowden Road Brighton Street Leyburn Road
Number 11 and 13 Bowden Road after a German attack on 2nd January 1941.
Numbers 53 - 61 Brighton Street, 28th December 1940.
Debris of 24 and 22 Leyburn Road after an air-raid on 2nd January 1941.
Church Street Church Street Church Street
On the night of 12th, 13th and 14th March 1941 Church Street took extensive damage with much of the properties being damaged, later to be demollsihed. The left picture shows the junction with Church Avenue. The middle picture shows the demolished houses near John Street. Picture on the right is the District Bank on the corner of Brighton Street and King Street.
Church Street Eastcroft Road Eastcroft Road
The Techincal School, corner of Church Street and Brighton Street, was once the old Town Hall.
Numbers 7 to 13 Eastcroft Road after a night attack, 02/02/1941.
Numbers 34-26 Palantine Road sustaining bomb damage, 28th December, 1940.
Big Yard, Wallasey Village Wallasey Village Wheatland Lane
Big Yard, Wallasey Village, after a German air-raid.
Wallasey Village with Lycett Road on the left behind the helpers cleaning debris from the road after March 1941 attacks.
View of Wheatland Lane after the night of 22nd September, 1940 with the former Great Float Hotel on the right. Hawthorne Grove and Lily Grove on the left.
Mount Pleasant Road New Brighton New Brighton
Junction of Mount Pleasant Road and Mount Road.
The Travellers Rest, New Brighton, sustaining bomb damage, 8th May 1941.
View from Marine Parade towards Roswon Street after the night attack of 7th/8th May 1941.
Magazine Lane
View of Magazine Lane after an air raid of 22nd December, 1940.
Manor Road after an air-raid with men clearing the road of debris.
The assembly hall of Wallasey High School, Mount Pleasant Road, after an air-raid on 30th/31st August, 1940.
View of Seacombe Primitive Methodist Church, on Poulton Road after an air-raid in March 1941. By 1944 the church was demolished.
Mark's & Spencers in Liscard Road. They moved to Wallasey Road for a time and returned to Liscard Road
Erskine Road took heavy punishment on 12th March 1941 with many deaths and injuries.
Numbers 14 and 16 Rufford Road after a raid, 1st January, 1941.
Heathbank Avenue after an air-raid on 22nd December, 1940.
Damage to 218 and 220 Poulton Road.
Junction of Grove Road and Wallasey Village.
Numbers 2, 4, 6 and 8 Hawthorne Grove after an air-attack on 11th October 1940.
Florence Cottages once stood off Field Road, Upper Brighton. They took heavy damage on 10th August, 1940.
View of the damage to Asbury Road, off Green Lane.
St. George's Mount after an air-raid on 10th August 1940.
Numbers 1 to 7 Chatsworth Avenue after being struck by a high-explosive bomb, 20th December 1940.
Numbers 48 to 52 Leominster Road after damage by a H.E bomb, 22nd December 1940.
Two men are viewing the damge to property at Numbers 2 - 10 Croxteth Avenue, 20th December 1940.
Stroude's Corner, Rake Lane. The picture was taken after the first raid on Wallasey 10th August 1940.
Numbers 69-75 Dalmorton Road. The roof has been blown off during the December 1940 attacks.
Damaged caused to numbers 5 and 7 Langdale Road during the December 1940 attack.
Shelter in Lancaster Road after a bombing raid in March 1941.
Damage caused to the rear of 21 and 23 Earlston Road together with debris of 1,3, and 5 Bedford Road after an attack on 14th October 1940.
Number 19 Grosvenor Road, New Brighton showing a bomb crater after a raid on November 1st 1940.
St.Alban's Road after a heavy attack on 12th March 1941 which saw many lives lost at numbers 11-13.